Steps for Everyday Cleaning
- Use a clean, damp, non-abrasive cotton cloth and a mild liquid detergent or household cleaner. Clean the soiled area using a rotating motion.
- Next, rinse with clean water, using a clean, non-abrasive cotton cloth. Take care not to flood the laminate, especially near seams
- Dry the surface with a soft, clean, non-abrasive cotton cloth
- Liquid dish soap like Dawn®
- Fantastik® All Purpose Cleaner
- Formula 409®
- Pine-Sol®(original formula)
- Glass Plus®
- Mr. Clean®
- Isopropyl Alchol (Isopropanol)
- Non-abrasive cotton cloth (microfiber) or nylon-bristle brush
- Abrasive pads – like scouring powders, steel wool, Scotch-Brite™ and sandpaper
- Abrasive cleaners like scouring powders, Ajax®, Comet®, Magic Eraser
- Acidic or Alkali based Cleansers*
- Drain cleaners containing lye*
- Oven cleaners on an unprotected countertop*
- Rust removers*
- Toilet bowl cleaners*
*If the above cleansers contact your laminate surface, wipe up immediately, wash surface with Liquid dish soap like Dawn®, rinse, and dry.
Removing Tough Stains
- Apply a recommended cleanser and allow it to draw out the stain.
- Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl)
- Clean using a rotating motion. If a cotton cloth or sponge doesn’t do the trick, try using a nylon-bristle brush.
- Rinse with water and dry the surface. Remember, it is important to remove all cleanser from the surface.
- Create a paste of baking soda and water and apply with a soft bristled brush. *
*Although baking soda is a low abrasive, excessive scrubbing or exerting too much force could damage the decorative surface, especially if it has a gloss finish.
- Apply the bleach or nail polish remover to your laminate surface*
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and wipe dry.
*This step may be repeated if the stain appears to be going away and the color of the laminate has not been affected.
WARNING: Prolonged exposure of the laminate surface to bleach will cause discoloration.
Recommended Products and Tools per Situation
|Situation||Recommended Product||Cleaning Tool|
|Super glue||Acetone (nail polish remover)||Non-abrasive cotton cloth (microfiber)|
|Oil-based paint, varnish, or lacquer||Solvent||Non-abrasive cotton cloth (microfiber) or nylon-bristle brush|
|Stains||Acetone or rubbing alcohol, Paste of baking soda and water||Non-abrasive cotton cloth (microfiber)|
|Tougher stains||Paste of baking soda and water||Non-abrasive cotton cloth (microfiber)|
|Daily cleaning||Fantastik®, Formula 409®, Windex®, Liquid dish soap (Dawn®)||Non-abrasive cotton cloth (microfiber)|
|Daily Disinfecting||Quaternary Ammonium, Alcohols (Isopropanol, Ethanol), Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach), Hydrogen Peroxides||Non-abrasive cotton cloth (microfiber)|
Brand Recommendations for Disinfectants
|Examples of Quaternary Ammonium||Examples of Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach)|
|Clorox® Disinfecting Wipes||Clorox Healthcare® Bleach Germicidal Wipes|
|Clorox Healthcare® VersaSure® Wipes||Ultra Clorox® Brand Regular Bleach (8.25%)|
|Clorox Commercial Solutions®||Clorox Healthcare® Bleach Germicidal Cleaner Spray|
|Disinfecting Wipes||Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach2|
|Lysol® Disinfecting Wipes (All Scents)||CloroxPro™ Clorox® Germicidal Bleach|
|Lysol® Brand All Purpose Cleaner||CPPC Ultra Bleach 2|
|Sani-Cloth® Germicidal Disposable Cloth||Sani-Cloth® Bleach Germicidal Disposable Wipe|
|Super Sani-Cloth® Germicidal Disposable Wipe||Caviwipes™ Bleach|
|Virex™ II 256||Cavicide™ Bleach|
|Fantastik® Multi-Surface Disinfectant||Dispatch®|
|Degreaser||Lysol® Brand Bleach Mold and Mildew Remover|
|Envy® Liquid Disinfectant Cleaner|